The powdery coating of this vegetable is responsible for its name 'Ash Gourd'. With a round and oblong shape, Ash gourds have an exterior skin which can vary between dark green to pale grey.They taste mild like a cucumber and are soft to chew.
- Ash Gourd has loads of vitamins and minerals like phosphorus, calcium, riboflavin, Iron, thiamine, niacin and Vitamin C.
- It has moisture content and less fat and carbohydrates. It has a calorific value of 15.
- Rinse the harmless powdery coating from the surface before slicing the gourd open. Uncut ash gourd can be kept for a month in a cool and dry storage area.
- Store the cut ones dry in a polythene bag and refrigerate.
- Ash Gourd tastes excellent in Petha sweet. Used to make a variety of curries and raitha.
- The juice of raw ash gourd is used as a natural remedy to treat dysentery.