Back to: Masalas & Spices
TRS Star Anise/ Ananas flower
Star anise is the dried, star-shaped fruit of Illicium verum. It is dark brown in colour with eight segments. It has a sweetish licorice taste. It is a major component of garam masala, in Indian cuisine. It has a sweet but pungent, fennel-like aroma with a spicy warmth.
- Calories: 14,
- Carbs: 3 g,
- Fat: 0 g,
- Protein: 1 g.
- The oil produced from star anise contains thymol, terpineol and anethole, which is used for treating cough and flu.
- Anise also helps improve digestion, alleviate cramps and reduce nausea.
- Consuming star anise tea after meals helps treat digestive ailments such as bloating, gas, indigestion and constipation.
How to Use:
- Star anise traditionally is used in savory recipes, particularly with meats.
- It often is added whole to soups, stews and braising broths, to which it adds a sweet-licorice-peppery flavor.